Gilda Claudine M. Karasik
Prior to law school, Claudine worked on Capitol Hill for then-Senator Al Gore and later for Congressman E. Kika de la Garza. A few years later, she became a Clinton Administration political appointee assigned to the Corporation for National Service and the U.S. Department of Transportation where she served as Executive Assistant to the Vice President and Senior Liaison to Governors and State Legislators, respectively.
While a student at the University of Maryland School of Law, she co-founded the Latino Legal Assistance Project in Baltimore, Maryland, and later received the 1998 Public Service Award at commencement. After passing the bar, she clerked for a judge, worked as a public defender, launched a law practice in Maryland, and served as a staff attorney at the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
In addition to trial practice, she has worked as a freelance writer and nonprofit consultant to organizations such as the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the National Policy and Legal Analysis Network, Narrative 4, the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, and City Projects.
Over the years, she has tried numerous criminal and civil cases and successfully resolved countless legal matters for clients.
Areas Of Practice
- Civil Cases
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- Juris Doctor - 05/1998
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1992
- Major: Government and Politics
Honors and Awards
- Montgomery County Arts & Humanities Council Individual Artist Award
- University of Maryland Law School Public Service Commencement Award, 1998
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Diversity Achievement Award, Nominee, 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Human Rights Commission for Montgomery County, Maryland, Commissioner, 2013 to 2014
- Maryland Hispanic Bar Association, Board Member, 2009 to 2010
- Maryland Governor's Commission on Migratory & Seasonal Farm Labor, Commissioner, 1998 to 2002
Pro Bono Activities
- Maryland Pro Bono Resource Center, Board Member, 2010 to 2011